5 Mistakes Businesses Make When Hiring A Web Designer
It’s the start of a New Year and you have high aspirations for an amazing 2017, and a big part of making your plans a reality includes a new website! Well, hiring a web designer or design firm can be a challenge, but it also offers a great opportunity to look at some great work, talk to some creative people and open up the process as you plan a website design or redesign. But beware of these…
5 Mistakes Small Businesses Make When Hiring A Web Designer
- Don’t Take Ownership. Some business owners make the mistake of not checking to ensure whoever registers their domain name does so under the business owner’s name. It’s very important to be sure you are the domain owner and administrative contact.
- Go in blindly. While a simple website can likely be completed in a short turnaround, a larger-scale more complicated project can include hundreds of hours of work. Ask yourself these questions so that you can be very clear about your needs before meeting with any web-designer.
- Who is your audience?
- What are the goals of your website? Is your website for information only, to generate leads, or will you be selling on-line?
- Why are having branding materials and style guidelines handy important?
- When do you want to launch your website?
- How will your website stand out? What type of content are you planning to include on the site? What makes it unique and appealing to your audience?
- Have unrealistic cost expectations. The average web-designer will charge between $50.00 to $150.00 per hour and the average cost for a web-site ranges based on the complexity of the design and functionality. For those more complicated websites or those with shopping cart functionality, and let’s not forget about good Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and content, it’s reasonable to expect to pay more. You certainly can get a website designed for cheap but you probably won’t be happy with the outcome. When choosing the cheapest option you may soon realize that there are too many limitations and that the website is not built to grow with you as your business grows. Remember what your mother told you, “You get what you pay for.”
- Think, “I can do it myself”. Have you heard the saying, “Jack of All Trades, Master of None?” By trying to do everything yourself you hurt your chances of doing a few important things well. In contrast, by hiring the right professional, you’ll also have the advantage of a strategic partner.
- Commit to a long distance relationship. Your web designer will be one of the most important people in your life while you are launching or rebranding your business. When hiring a website designer, hire someone locally vs. someone overseas or in another state, and ASK QUESTIONS! Hiring a web designer with whom you can work closely and confidently with will provide you with a valuable resource and the best possible outcome – a great website that will grow with you as your business grows!
Need help with your small business marketing or website? Contact NAVARRO CREATIVE GROUP and let’s talk about ways that we can help you build your on-line presence and marketing strategy.
615.562.1002 | wendy@NavarroCreativeGroup.com | www.NavarroCreativeGroup.com
Connect With Us